Entity Establishment For Organic Google Rankings and Local Maps Listings
Entity Check – Brand Name Search
To combat spammy backlinks and fake web properties created to sell leads (pay per call), Google has adjusted the algorithm to give higher importance to established entities. Meaning the brand is a real brand, created and run by a real person. To establish entities, Google takes into account numerous factors to validate a brand.
Because of the importance that Google places on entities, it is imperative that your entity is established before any mainstream SEO or digital marketing tactics have been started to bulletproof your website against potential issues from your efforts.
The easiest way to check entity establishment is to simply do a brand search, and see exactly what Google thinks is relevant and related to the brand name.
There are a few very important things that you want to look for when submitting a brand based query in Google search
- Is the very first result your company website or a branded (your brand) property such as Facebook, Yelp, Manta etc.?
- Do other companies show up, and if so are they showing up above any of your properties?
- Does the knowledge graph show up, compiling your map and business information?
- Inside the knowledge graph, does your facebook ratings or ratings from another review site show up?
If you have all of these elements 🎉 congratulations 🎉 your brand is seen as a prominent brand and the solid foundation needed to proceed with search engine optimization is present. Rank away!
If you do not have all of these elements, Google does not yet recognize your brand as a real or prominent company. In this case you have some work to do. The following steps listed are shortcuts to expediting the process of Google recognizing your brand as a whole, opposed to just a single website.
Google + Optimization Steps
Your Google+ profile is directly tied to your Google maps listing. There are some very advanced powerful tactics that can be done right inside of your G+ profile but sticking to the basics and fundamentals you want to ensure a few key things are done.
- Make a post with a link to your website, with a short description and your name, address and phone number EXACTLY as it appears in Googles map listing.
- Be sure to at minimum have a cover photo, photos of your services and if you can, photos of employees and the office as well.
- Make sure all images are geotagged so that you are providing relevance signals to the locations you want to show up in.
- Start following profiles that are relevant to both your location and your niche.
- Make a few posts citing relevant information, linking to profiles that belong to your business. Facebook, Yelp, Twitter, Manta Etc. Remember it’s all about signals here so getting into this mind set will start highlighting opportunities.
Twitter Optimization Steps
Dating back to 2015, Google and Twitter entered a partnership together. This partnership allowed the indexing of tweets into Google’s search results. Which in other words means that A) Google finds value in what’s going on in Twitter and B) Google’s bots are crawling tweets, including the information and links contained within them. If you are not aware of the importance in that, the signals of being mentioned show brand prominence because at the end of the day, real brands are tweeting, being tweeted and their tweets are being retweeted. Steps to optimize your twitter:
- Phone verify your account with a mobile number, preferably a number tied to the business
- Be sure to enter your location both in your bio and your tweet locations
- Make sure you have a profile photo and a cover photo
- Retweet relevant accounts twice as much as you tweet out
- Tweet your website, citation links, and social profile links such as your G+, Facebook and YouTube
Facebook Optimization Steps
Google clearly takes into account what happens within your business’ Facebook page. So having a verified Facebook page is not only a good trust signal for potential customers, but it also is a great signal for Google as well when they are taking your brand into consideration for ranking. In fact ranking a Facebook page for keywords is a current strategy that I utilize for all of my clients because of the power it has.
To verify your Page:
- Click Settings at the top of your Page.
- From General, click Page Verification.
- Click Verify this Page, then click Get Started.
- Enter a publicly listed phone number for your business, your country and language.
- Click Call Me Now to allow Facebook to call you with a verification code.
YouTube Optimization Steps
Since YouTube is not only a Google owned property but also the 2nd largest search engine used, there are more reasons to be on YouTube other than branding. However it’s value for branding cannot be overlooked with how much is offered here.
Once you have set up a YouTube account or you have logged into your existing YouTube account, go to your channel page. Here you will see 2 buttons.
- Click Chanel and Click Advanced
- Add In Your County, Keywords and Website
- If your chanel is not verified click status and features
- Click The About Tab
- Add in a full length chanel description
- Add in your most important links
For those that are not tech savvy, here is a quick fix for schema. It is by no means the best code generation, but it is far better than nothing if you don’t want to spend the money on a premium service.
REMEMBER if you do not have a place on your website to take in Google reviews in JSON-LD format, entering your review count manually can and does trigger a website penalty.